Tuesday, February 16, 2016

How Akela's Council Cub Scout Leader Training Changed My Mind About Cub Scouting

How Akela’s Council Changed My Mind About Cub Scouting

This post was copied from the Blog of the Utah National Parks Council. 

To see the blog post, CLICK HERE 

I went to Akela’s Council Cub Scout Leader Training 6 years ago when I was only a member of the Pack committee (serving in our LDS ward primary presidency). I wanted our pack to have a great program but I didn’t know much about Cub Scouting so this seemed like a great chance to learn.
Many people in my life didn’t have a great opinion of Scouting in general and thought of it as largely a waste of time. Not having had anything to do with it up till then I must admit I wasn’t too excited about my new position. But I’m the kind of person who likes to do things right so I wanted to get a good idea of what I was supposed to do and what a good Scouting program should be, so my husband (the Cubmaster at the time) and I decided we should go.

I was expecting 4 days of roundtable-like training’s and a lot of sitting around taking notes. Boy was I surprised! It was an adventure from start to finish and I came away with a passion for cub scouting.
At Akela’s Council I had life changing experiences and made lifetime connections. Being able to step away from the bustle of life for a few days and learn and grow with all the people there was unforgettable. We got to work on projects, share ideas, complete challenges, have a great time, learn and laugh a lot.  It is such a neat program and the individuals that made it all happen were so generous and kind, their examples and friendship really touched me and I still draw on the things I learned from them.
There were many things that our pack just wasn’t doing and I got to see first hand how much better things go when the right systems and tools are in place. I also realized how significant the small things could be to the boys and the importance of belonging, and I came away determined to help the boys in my pack feel wanted and loved. I wanted to share with my pack how fun cub scouting could be.
Our pack program improved so much when we started implementing the things we learned. We even had life long Scouters approach us at some of the pack meetings to say how impressed they were with the quality of program that they saw. I don’t say this to brag only to say that it was because we were using the things we learned at Akela’s council and it really really did make a difference in our pack. I’m so glad that I went.  I am now serving as a Den Leader, and this time I am very prepared.
To learn more about Akela's Council, please visit our website AkelasCouncil.com

If you want to know more check out this YouTube video:



By Celeste Hunt - Hurricane, Utah
This post was copied from the Blog of the Utah National Parks Council. 

No comments:

Post a Comment